Friday, January 30, 2009

Char-grilled Oysters

Oysters Rockefeller
Char-grilled Oysters

Oysters can be enjoyed so many ways but baked and char-grilled are some of my favorites. Baked, turns a simple oyster on the half shell into a special treat. Oyster's Rockefeller were created in New Orleans by Jules Alciatore, son of the famous Antoine Alciatore, owner of Antoine's Restaurant. He named them after John D. Rockefeller, who was the richest man in America at that time and have been serving them since 1899.

I first ate char-grilled oysters many years ago at Drago's restaurant in Metairie, LA. The first time I tried a dozen of them I could not get enough. I went back to the restaurant three times before leaving New Orleans. When I go back I have at least 2 dozen of these wonderful cheese, butter and garlic laden jewels while in town.

Eat oysters often, they are one of the greatest prizes we reap from the sea.

No comments:

Great Oyster Shuckers - New Orleans

Meet Legendary Pascal's Manale Oyster Shucker Thomas "Uptown T" Stewart Thomas "Uptown T" Stewart ...