Thursday, March 26, 2009

Boston's Neptune Oyster Bar

Neptune Oyster Bar

Oysters on half shell
Mussel's
Crab Louie



Neptune Oyster Bar, a tiny match box sized restaurant in Boston's Italian North End, owned by Jeff Nace, is my favorite oyster bar in Boston.
The last time I was in Boston I had eaten here and knew that this trip, Neptune would be my first stop. We ended up eating there twice during my stay and would have gone back a third time if we would have had the time.

The 16 stools at the oyster bar and 26 banquette seats are always occupied and waiting for a seat at one of them is very common. No reservations! We like to give our name and cell number to the hostess, then walk the neighborhood for the next hour. The walk is most interesting and dining at Neptune is well worth the wait. About 45 minutes later my cell rang, our table was ready and we head back.

When seated we ordered several dozen oysters, fried whole belly clams and lobster rolls with butter. The selection of oysters were great the whole belly clams were light and tender and the lobster roll is second only to Red's Eat in Wiscasset, ME.

The next visit we ordered oysters on the half shell, whole belly clams, Crab Louie and lobster spaghettini. The owner Jeff told me to come back for the lobster spaghettini on Monday and boy am I glad I did. This was worth the trip in itself.

Neptune is an all around jewel, a great bistro, oyster bar and neighborhood hang out. I can't wait to have an excuse to go back to Boston just to eat here. I already miss the whole belly clams.

I think I will try to get a few restaurants to handle them here so that I won't have to take those 4 hour flights but until then Boston here I come.

No comments:

Great Oyster Shuckers - New Orleans

Meet Legendary Pascal's Manale Oyster Shucker Thomas "Uptown T" Stewart Thomas "Uptown T" Stewart ...